Re: [tor-talk] Orbot and firewall?

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012, at 06:03 PM, tor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I used to use Droidwall, but I now use LBE Privacy Guard instead.
> LBE Privacy Guard provides a per application network firewall, but
> it also lets you block loads of other stuff on a per app basis too,
> like access to location, the call history, contacts, IMEI and so on.
> When an app tries to access one of these things, it pops up a
> confirmation dialogue where you can specify allow/block and whether
> or not to remember that choice. It is also free, but it also
> requires a rooted phone.

LBE Privacy Guard doesn't have a lot of info about it or any source code
available, and for some reason requests Phone State and Identity
permissions. It could be recording who you call and using it for ad
targeting..

Of course either DroidWall or LBE could be listening to your phone calls
without having any permissions since they both require root.. But at
least DroidWall is open source.

> Although the above sounds a bit like an advert, I have no affiliation
> with the author of the application other than as a very happy user.

Hrmm.. You might want to rethink that. Something about LBE is setting
off best practice alarms.

The other apps that provide this functionality require ROM patches
and/or reboots, and the only Open Source option appears to be PDdroid,
but again requires a ROM patch.

As much as I want a permissions editor too, I think DroidWall is still
the best solution to the Android privacy nightmare.

Maybe someone can convince Cyanogen to work with the PDroid guy to
develop a built-in solution?