Re: [tor-talk] Orbot and firewall?

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012, at 06:34 PM, Mr Dash Four wrote:

> > Here's the app on the google market:
> >
> > [...etc...]
> >
> For someone who "isn't affiliated" with this piece of closed-source
> software (thus, questionable credentials as far as people's privacy is
> concerned) you seem pretty determined to shove it down everyone's
> throat quite intensely!

Careful, troll. Mike is concerned with practical security against likely
adversaries, so his reasons for using the software might be nuanced,
depending on who he believes his adversary is. For example, his blog
post
https://grepular.com/Protecting_a_Laptop_from_Simple_and_Sophisticated_Attacks
is pretty good about pointing out the need for differences in security
with respect to multiple adversaries. It was fairly widely circulated.

I'm actually curious if the implementation in LBE is better tolerant to
app failure than what Cyanogenmod has. The Cyanogenmod implementation
causes apps to get exceptions thrown at them when the code that needs
the permission tries to execute. Some apps catch these exceptions and
move on. Some simply die.

It is possible that what Mike means by "not nearly is good" is that
LBE's "state of the art hooking techniques" actually have a more elegant
solution to the exception problem (such as causing all APIs that require
the permission to silently fail without throwing exceptions).

It's also possible he has other entirely reasonable reasons for
preferring LBE.

Either way, I'd like to hear them.