Re: [tor-talk] Server/host for Tor forum in Iceland or Norway?

Hello Andrew,

--- On Sat, 3/31/12, andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> On Fri, Mar 30, Jef Heri < jefheri1 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> I am interested in setting up a small Tor centric message
>> board. Due to recent (and not so recent) events in U.S.
>> Congress, E.U., and etc., I want to setup the message board
>> in a country with strong -- and smart -- Internet privacy
>> and security laws. As I understand matters, Iceland or
>> Norway seem to be the best choices; is that correct? (I
>> believe the Tor Project, or a group affiliated with them,
>> uses servers in Iceland, but I could be mistaken)

> I use servers in Iceland and did before I joined Tor. And
> yes, torproject.is and tpo.is are both hosted with 1984.is. I
> also know Mörður and Smári from 1984.is. My obvious endorsement is
> for 1984. They are not the cheapest, but they are great.
>
> Hosting relays in Iceland is expensive due to the current
> monopoly arrangement on bandwidth and connections to Greenland and
> the UK, see http://www.farice.is/. If planning to host tor relays
> in Iceland, talk to the provider first. If you do, ISK 50,000+ monthly
> bills shouldn't shock you.
>
> Here is the writeup of my last trip to Iceland for Tor,
> https://blog.torproject.org/blog/visit-iceland
>
> --
> Andrew

Great, thanks. I was heavily leaning toward them. Wrt Tor relay and Iceland, I think I will setup the Tor relay to exit only to my forum, as an exit enclave. And possibly running hidden service address if that seems smart and useful to brighter minds than myself. That way I shouldn't move a lot of traffic, unless the forum gets very popular; unless I don't correctly understand how such a relay would function. If the latter is true please educate me, if you're willing. Thanks.