Re: [tor-talk] Tor Flashproxy Badge as Firefox Extension

23.03.2013 19:31, Christian Sturm:
> Hello,
>
> I really like Cupcake for Chrome and recommended it to many friends.
> However, I didn't have a simple way to do this on Firefox, so I thought
> I'd create something like that.
>
> Since I never ever created an extension before and it's really just a
> few lines of code that should turn on the cookie and adds the badge it
> doesn't look really good.
>
> Currently it's basically what the iframe does (+adding the flashproxy
> browser cookie, so it still works, should it become opt-in only). I hope
> it is helpful to people using Firefox and want a quick way to become a
> relay. Sorry it doesn't look really good yet.
>
> I might put the code on GitHub or so later.
>
> https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/tor-flashproxy-badge/

Hi,

thank you for creating an addon for this.

There's a spelling mistake for the German description.

"Warhscheinlich hilfe ein Neustart von Firefox."
should be
"Wahrscheinlich hilft ein Neustart von Firefox."

I don't know if it's Mozilla or Firefox, but XPIs are meant to be
installed. Right click and "Save as.." doesn't work. You have to use
another browser to download the xpi in order to inspect it.

Nothing personal. I can't read code and would not notice anything
strange, although I wouldn't expect anything nasty inside.

Do you know if the folder "addon-sdk" is required? It's the largest part
of the addon.

I gave it a try and it works fine I guess.

The addon appears to set a cookie for the path
"/flashproxy/"
while the options page set a cookie for the path
"/"

This makes it impossible to disable the proxy on its option page. Since
your cookie contains a "1" all the time. The cookie from the option page
might be "1" or "0", while "0" gets ignored if your cookie is also present.

According to the addon "addons memory" it takes around 5.60 MB of
memory. Can this be optimized?

I loaded the website of flashproxy into a tab and turned it into an "App
Tab". It's there all the time an "survives" restarting, just the cookie
is missing. I find this approach appealing, but guess that an addon is
more appealing to most people. Might be even more appealing than the
standalone-flashproxy that is being worked on, since I'd forget about
starting it after some time and I'm not a fan of starting everything on
log-in.

It's strange that I'm the only one that replied so far.

Thank you for creating the extension.

Regards,
Sebastian G. (bastik_tor)