Re: [tor-talk] Pissed off about Blacklists, and what to do?

On 03/08/2014 12:50 PM, Akater wrote:
> The Internet will become more Tor-friendly only when Tor becomes
> (relatively) mainstream.
>
> Unless 1 out of (say) 14 internet users run Tor exit relays, Tor will
> be blocked, gradually more and more aggressively.
>
> Tor community should advertise it, promote it, invite new users,
> encourage them to run exit nodes from home, provide reliable
> technical support and so on.
>
> That's the only way to go. Since nobody seems to be interested in
> doing that, Tor will die soon, being blocked almost everywhere.

That's an obvious chicken/egg problem, especially for exits. Even with
reduced exit policy, running a Tor exit can get your IP blacklisted.
Most Tor users are seeking privacy and anonymity, so having their IP
listed as a Tor exit is counterintuitive. There are idealists, of
course. But I can't imagine how ~7% of Internet users would be that
idealistic.

But maybe there's a solution involving IPv6, cloud services and
Bitcoin-like cryptocurrencies. With growth and competition in cloud
services, the Tor cloud could start including exit bridges as well as
entry bridges. With IPv6 addressing, bridges could change their IPs
rapidly enough to avoid both entry and exit blocks.

Bitcoin-like cryptocurrencies could provide a mechanism for at least
some users to anonymously fund the Tor cloud. Also, by incorporating
automatic receipts in the payment system, embedded encrypted messages
could update bridge users with addresses of forthcoming bridges. Doing
that securely for exit bridges would be harder, but not impossible.