Re: [tor-talk] [tor-relays] Is Kaspersky right to be concerned?

On Mon, 2014-03-10 at 14:37 -0400, grarpamp wrote:
> > [oh the bad..., re: ]
> > http://cryptome.org/2013/09/tor-analysis-hidden-services.pdf
>
> Do you seriously think that reporters, aid workers, freedom
> fighters, investigators, whistleblowers, and simple chatfriends,
> etc are going to publish their onions for all to see, with all their
> data and logs and so on as some kind of stage show for you?
> The answere to that is no. They have better good and private
> things to do that do not concern you until it hits the AP wire.
>
> So of course all you're goin to see on the public onions
> are a bunch of channers, criminals, crazy loons and a
> growing scattering of real projects and clearnet multihomes.

It looks like this paper scraped hidden service descriptors from
directories, as in
A. Biryukov, I. Pustogarov, and R.-P. Weinmann.
Trawling for tor hidden services: Detection,
measurement,deanonymization. In IEEE Symposium
on Security and Privacy, pages 80â94, 2013.

This would pick up private onions as well as publicized ones.

That paper concludes rather more positively, though:

--
Sent from Ubuntu