Re: [tor-talk] Blacklists

On 14-03-10 06:37 PM, Praedor Tempus wrote:

> I was wondering...would a change to tor exits so they direct through public proxies/anonymizers get around black lists?  The tor user would still be anonymized but the ultimate source address seen by blacklisting websites would NOT be a tor exit so blocking tor exits would fail...
>
> Is this too simple?  Perhaps add a setting that those who run exits could configure so their exit routes to a proxy?
> praedor

The FAQ gives 3 reasons why Torproject doesnt encourage that particular
solution to blocking of Tor:

https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq.html.en#HideExits
To quote therefrom:

a.    We can't help but make the information available, since Tor
clients need to use it to pick their paths. So if the "blockers" want
it, they can get it anyway. Further, even if we didn't tell clients
about the list of relays directly, somebody could still make a lot of
connections through Tor to a test site and build a list of the addresses
they see.

b.    If people want to block us, we believe that they should be allowed
to do so. Obviously, we would prefer for everybody to allow Tor users to
connect to them, but people have the right to decide who their services
should allow connections from, and if they want to block anonymous
users, they can.

c.    Being blockable also has tactical advantages: it may be a
persuasive response to website maintainers who feel threatened by Tor.
Giving them the option may inspire them to stop and think about whether
they really want to eliminate private access to their system, and if
not, what other options they might have. The time they might otherwise
have spent blocking Tor, they may instead spend rethinking their overall
approach to privacy and anonymity.