Re: [tor-talk] status of Tor's speed issues?

Am 2014-03-17 07:54, schrieb Roger Dingledine:
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 07:45:15AM +0100, Martin Kepplinger wrote:
>> So I'm giving a little talk about Tor, mainly to motivate and remind
>> people to run a relay. Roger gave a talk a few years back, about
>> congestion control, the problem with bulk-vs-web traffic and the "1 sec
>> token bucket" problems. Is there a short answer on whats the status on
>> these topics?
>
> Some of them are resolved, and some of them remain as theoretical
> issues. It turns out that the distance between the green line and
> the purple line in this graph:
> https://metrics.torproject.org/network.html?graph=bandwidth&start=2010-12-17&end=2014-03-17#bandwidth
> is way more influential on performance than we had realized. That is,
> we can mask many of the underlying technical questions by having enough
> capacity in the network.

So you want the distance to be smaller. Why actually? Assuming
speed-tests (from authorities) are done "right", isn't that entirely a
problem of the protocol?

Basically it shouldn't matter at all how weak a connected relay is, no
matter how much the admin advertises. She would _like_ to offer this
much bandwith and that's nice of her, but oh well, bandwith authorities
give her how much she can actually offer. So, why does that distance matter?

> But it remains the case that too much bulk traffic can really hose the
> network, so it's still the case that people shouldn't do that.
>
> I haven't gotten around to organizing everything into a "Why else is
> Tor slow" document, to go with the first one:
> https://blog.torproject.org/blog/why-tor-is-slow
> But you can read some notes here:
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/roadmaps/Tor/Performance
> http://freehaven.net/~arma/tor-performance-outline.txt
>
> In that last URL I tag five promising directions with '*'. With some work,
> you can find papers corresponding to most of them at
> http://freehaven.net/anonbib/

thanks for the update.