Re: [tor-talk] Download Speed

Nima Fatemi:
> Jeff:
>> Hi... can you tell me why my download speeds are so slow ?
>> I've reduced the upload speed to minimum but lately the download speed has been 2-3kbps when downloading movies. It has been 1mbps at times, but its mostly the lower figure.             Regards, Jeff
>>
>> ps:  please speak english ! I'm not an expert at this
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>
> tl;dr
> Please quit trying to send torrent traffic over Tor.
>
> You need to read this:
> https://blog.torproject.org/blog/bittorrent-over-tor-isnt-good-idea
>
> and this:
> https://tor.stackexchange.com/a/68

The Tor Project has yet to make a definite, official statement about the
use of BitTorrent over the Tor network.

Quote Jacob Appelbaum [1]:

    [...] I'm not clear that it will harm the network if Tails includes
a BitTorrent client. I think that the harm comes when someone runs a few
seeding boxes through Tor and doesn't bother to add any capacity to the
network at all. [...]

Quote Andrew Lewman [2]:

    [...] There are completely legitimate uses of bittorrent over Tor.
I've talked to people who want to get their ISO of Fedora or Ubuntu from
outside their country, so they bt over tor to do so. [...] I'm fully
aware that the tor codebase punishes me for doing large downloads over
Tor, so be it. [...]

[1]
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk/2011-December/022376.html
[2]