Re: [tor-talk] Tor Project and Youtube is blocked in Turkey too

Hey Andrew,

Frankly, I admire Tor Project. I'm writing about censorship, privacy,
surveillance ands similar subjects over a year. If I didn't have Tor or
other anonymity tools, I wouldn't express myself freely. Maybe I
auto-censor or self-censor my thoughts or writings I though. Actually, I
need to thank you for giving me this opportunity.

> The first step to the end goal of censorship is surveillance. The
> Internet might seem like the ultimate tool for free speech, but without
> tools to protect our privacy, unwanted surveillance online can post a
> serious threat. Every day around the world, people are using Tor to
> protect their online privacy, whether they're concerned about surveillance
> by corporations, their government, or someone else. This is also true
> for circumventing Internet censorship.
>
> Tor, like all technology, can be used for good or bad. Kitchen knives,
> iPhones, and automobiles are used every day for both good and bad, yet
> no one is advocating a ban of these technologies. If someone starts a
> crime wave with crowbars, do you ban crowbars? Then hammers? Then tire
> irons? The morality is in the user of the technology, not the technology
> itself. The same Tor that's being maligned in the press is used daily
> by law enforcement agents to successfully hunt down horrendous criminals
> by protecting the identity and privacy of the agent.

I wrote very similar in the article. I gave two examples. First one is an
individual expressing himself/herself freely over Tor in an oppressing
regime. Second one is a jerk who is abusing people over Tor. If you
evaluate Tor over the jerk and say this is what Tor is, you're making a
logical fallacy.

> Tell us how we can help Turkey defeat this attempt to censor the Internet.

I think there are two ways to do that. First way changing the perception
of Tor in here. Second way is raising awareness of Turkish Tor users.
Because I read some posts about suggesting Adblock and some add-ons with
plugins like Flash etc. I wrote installing and using add-ons or plugins
may leak your IP, your graphic card info, take away your anonymity, it's
not a good idea to change Tor Browser's environment by installing these
and this will make it more unique. I don't know what it's called in
English but creating some simple info graphics about Tor, using Bridges,
what to do and what not to do both English and Turkish would be nice.

> And again, thanks for blogging about Tor in Turkey.

You're very welcome.

Chees,
~Kus

> --
> Andrew
> pgp 0x6B4D6475
> --

The most violent element in society is ignorance.

Blog:        https://network23.org/kame
Twitter:     https://twitter.com/songuncelleme
Fingerprint: EE978F37B9ABAE87C449E875FED65B269A0545A9