Re: [tor-talk] Why corrupt government officials blah blah bleh blah

I had removed myself from this conversation, but, having seen first-hand
the chilling effects of baseless screams of "defamation"

> You and your cohorts from the UK will be subjected to a defamation
lawsuit if you keep it up.

Just to save you the filing fees - what Zenaan posted is not actionable
under defamation laws. He's mocked you, but has made no substantive claims
about your character. You cannot claim defamation when no references to
your character/behaviour have been made. "Condescending B.S." does not fall
within the realms of defamation (though a conversation starting that way
could wander into the correct territory I guess).

IANAL so I've no idea if calling you a tin-hatter would be actionable, but
I would hazard a guess that it doesn't meet the bar, and if it did you'd be
facing an uphill struggle.

As one way to defend against defamation is to prove the statements were an
honest opinion, the defendant(s) would need to convince the court that what
you're claiming falls within the realm of unfounded conspiracy. More so,
they'd have to do it based only on the 'evidence' you've provided in this
thread.

Nothing's certain when you're relying on a court to make a decision, but
given that the claimant's route to defeating such a defence is to show that
the defendant didn't actually hold that 'opinion' I'd say your odds of
success are low.

Some of the claims you've made against others elsewhere in the thread(s)
could potentially be actionable though, so depending on who you target, you
might find some interesting counter-claims.

Or, you know, if you're actually after a serious conversation, you could
have one, as long as you stop expecting everyone to interpret your
'evidence' in exactly the same way that you do.

On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 11:45 AM, Travis Bean <tlbean@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 03/07/2015 08:37 PM, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> > On 3/8/15, Travis Bean <tlbean@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> What I have for download on my website, especially the version for
> >> Linux, makes it very simple for an individual with zero computer
> >> knowledge
> >
> > My mom showed me how ta turn it on, but I might need some help with
> > that step next time tha power goes out, cause there were a few steps,
> > and it seems a bit complicated for me. She said it was more secure if
> > it didn't come on automatically.
> >
> > Is this enough computer knowledge?
> >

> >> to setup a high-security, military-grade
> >
> > Awesome!
> >
> > I'm sold! Tell me more - I turned my computer on again, but
> > something's not right since the screen seems black to me, but it could
> > be my eyes.
> >
> > Is there something I'm doing wrong?
> >

> >> communications system
> >> in a matter of minutes. This takes hour on end for someone who is not
> >> familiar with Linux and not an expert in computer security.
> >
> > Well it's been an hour, and my computer screen is still black. I'm
> > pretty sure I'm doin somthing wrong...............
> >

> Zenaan Harkness, you are being given fair warning! I suggest you stop
> with the condescending B.S. while you are still ahead. You and your
> cohorts from the UK will be subjected to a defamation lawsuit if you
> keep it up. Any further B.S. from any wacko from the UK will be pursued
> very vigorously. This include any further libelous statements from those
> of you on this mailing list who have made threatening, derogatory,
> libelous remarks towards me that will be prosecuted to the fullest
> extent of the law!
>
> Travis L. Bean
>
> --
> T.L.Bean - Your source for FREE open source
> www.tlbean.com
> --

Ben Tasker
https://www.bentasker.co.uk