Re: [tor-talk] Are webmail providers biased against Tor?

You'll likely see the same thing from anything that the provider considers
to be an anonymous proxy - i.e. it'll affect Tor exits but isn't
necessarily Tor specific.

It's reasonably normal, if somewhat irritating

On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 10:52 AM, <blobby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have noticed that when I try to login to my Gmail or Hotmail accounts
> with Tor, I invariably get asked to validate myself (e.g. receive an SMS).
> This is understandably due my IP being in a different country from the
> "usual" IPs that I use to sign in.
>
> However, I have experimented with StrictExitNodes. I am in New York and
> have used a number of New York exit nodes. I still get asked to verify.
>
> I am wondering if Tor developers or experienced users know (for a fact)
> whether or not this is "normal" or whether using an exit node automatically
> makes Gmail and Hotmail think that a "hacker" is attempting to access the
> accounts.
>
> This is not a case of a website e.g. Craigslist blocking Tor. It is
> whether the use of an exit node IP automatically engenders scrutiny from
> whatever security algorithms certain webmail providers use.
>

> --

Ben Tasker
https://www.bentasker.co.uk