[tor-talk] Who runs the Tor Network? An Overview using MyFamily Data

Hi,

currently we use globe [1] compass [2] or old school torstatus [3] to
get an overview of what relays are around and who might operate them.

None of these 'tools' provide an easy way to aggregate relay data to
have a look at the bigger picture (Who runs most of the tor network?).

I generated* a preliminary overview based on MyFamily data, that
should provide an overview of the big tor relay operators:

https://github.com/nusenu/misc-files/blob/master/biggest_tor_relay_operators_by_MyFamily.txt
(Only the top 15 have names next to them because that was a manual task ;)

In the future that table might just be another compass checkbox saying
"Group by MyFamily" (or a static page generated once an hour).

Note: If you compare this with other overviews that uses contactInfo
to aggregate relays
https://github.com/nusenu/misc-files/blob/master/tor-relays_by_contact.txt
you will notice some big operators are missing. That means that they
are not using MyFamily (properly).
Also because MyFamily is a cumbersome setting for relay operators
there might be misconfigurations** that result in multiple
(overlapping) families.

Positive side effect: By using MyFamily to aggregate relays, I hope to
creating incentives for relay operators to actually configure MyFamily
on their relays. MyFamily avoids using multiple relays - operated by a
single entity - in a single tor client circuit.

Also, relay ops running many "smaller" relays hopefully will become
more visible (and receive more acknowledgments for their
contributions) [4].

If you are a relay operator yourself, you can easily check if you
configured your relays properly by entering any of your relay
fingerprints on https://compass.torproject.org (family field). If the
search result does not show all your relays then there is something
wrong with your MyFamily configuration.

regards,
Nusenu

[1] https://globe.torproject.org/#/top10