Re: [tor-talk] Games Without Frontiers: Investigating Video Games as a Covert Channel

Hey Jon,

Please correct me if I'm misunderstanding you. I think you don't buy some
subset of the following implicit (I believe to be reasonable) assumptions
that we make:

(1) There is no collusion between application developers and censors.
(2) There is a secure application distribution medium that the censors
cannot "hijack".
(3) Crypto attacks against authenticated, encrypted, and integrity
protected channels are not possible.

In general, the security community has agreed that (3) is a fine assumption
to make. Now there is the question of whether (1) and (2) are reasonable.

I think if we're ever going to succeed in making a good
"look-like-something" protocol, we're going to have to assume that (1) and
(2) hold for the cover application. This assumption has been made in the
past -- e.g., assuming the integrity of the Skype binary, etc. The idea of
"look-like-something" protocols completely fall apart when the cover
application does not obey (1) and (2).

Now, do these hold in the real-world, for video games? I think so. I
haven't seen any evidence (yet) that they do not. The leak you mention says
nothing about the NSA having back-doors and open attack surfaces in the
software. It just reveals that they're monitoring in-game behavior
(something that they cannot do with Castle if we can distribute passwords
out-of-band). I suspect that getting backdoors to all RTS games (past and
future) is completely non-trivial and very expensive for a censor and
Castle will continue to work reasonably well until this happens.