So am I running torsocks ssh to the VPS and then ssh -D to 8080 at the same time?

Why would the local SOCKS run on 8080? Tor runs, I think, on 9150?

I'm sure you're right but could you please spell it out for me. Thanks!

On 2016-03-14 13:16, Ben Tasker wrote:
) download a browser that allows access from the command line e.g. Lynx
(not TBB).

There are potentially valid reasons for doing it this way, but is there a
reason you're not thinking of doing

ssh -D 8080 myvps

And then pointing (say) Firefox at the local socks port on 8080. (i.e. all
steps the same except C - so still routing to the VPS via Tor).

You'd want to make sure you could acquire the VPS anonymously, there's
little point in having Tor in between if the connection appears to
originate from a VPS registered in your name, with your card as the billing
details.