Re: [tor-talk] Fwd: Orbot v15.1.2 released

On Sun, Mar 13, 2016, at 04:30 PM, Dash Four wrote:
> I was finally able to test the newest version (below) with my set up (I
> use customised firewall/transproxy settings and a vpn - all outside
> orbot).
> The good news is that version now works with no major problems, though I
> still found a couple of issues:

Glad to hear.

> 1. Why is it that the app upgrade wipes out the entire app_bin directory?

We hadn't considered that people would put their own files into that
directory. When we upgrade, we like to ensure it is in a clean state. We
can consider instead deleting files one by one.

> up-to-date geoip files (not the ones provided with orbot).

Could you provide these in a pull request or via a safe download link so
we can upgrade Orbot for everyone?

> 2. My custom settings had a separate GeoIP statements which were added by
> orbot. That's wrong. Either leave my torrc.custom file alone and don't
> mess with it,
> or properly replace the statements used in that file.

Right. We didn't consider people would use the torrc to modify values
that Orbot itself manages. Are you writing your own torrc.custom on
disk, or adding your configuration to the field in Orbot settings?

> 3. How can I compile, or at least obtain a tor binary independently of
> the orbot installation? The reason I ask this is because the tor binary
> provided with the
> latest version is 0.2.7.5 which is not even the latest stable, let alone
> the one I wish to use (0.2.8.0-alpha).

It takes time for us to test tor binaries on Android to ensure there are
no unintended issues with performance, battery life, memory usage, etc.
It isn't automatic.

That said, you are free to compile it yourself. All of the information
is on the code repo:
https://gitweb.torproject.org/orbot.git/tree/BUILD
https://gitweb.torproject.org/orbot.git/tree/external/Makefile

That said, we should be getting to the latest tor RC/stable soon.

> 4. Minor nitpick - the notification icon provided with orbot is bloody
> hideous! It looks like a circled blob and you hardly notice the arrows
> when orbot is
> used. Can you not provide something like the onion on torproject.org, but
> with two vertical arrows (similar to the wifi notification icon)?

Bloody hideous? It is just a small version of the larger icon we use on
the app screen and the icon. If you shrink down any of the various
"onion" graphics, none of them look very good. We'll see if we can
recruit an icon designer to come up with something better, but always
happy again to have a pull request.

+n