Re: Running a Tor exit node on an academic network?

On 5/9/06, Roger Dingledine <arma@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Unfortunately, Joe added another restriction, which is that he wants to do research on "typical" exit behavior, while at the same time being restricted by his university about what IP addresses are not known to blindly trust his school's IP space. I stick with my earlier response to this case: http://archives.seul.org/or/talk/Jan-2006/msg00150.html

Thanks for the rich response, Roger. I think we're at least going to be able to make a very strong case that only our library's proxy servers should be "trusted" by services we subscribe to... not our entire network; which would have us with an exit policy of 3k-20k entries long (and via the agreement that we had to work out with the System and Network Security folks, we have to disallow all exit traffic to those addresses... which is a royal pain in the ass, you can imagine.). -Joe

--
Joseph Lorenzo Hall
PhD Student, UC Berkeley, School of Information