From: owner-or-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-or-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Dave Page
Sent: 14 May 2006 14:51
To: or-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Some legal trouble with TOR in France

On Sun, May 14, 2006 at 02:45:01PM +0100, Tony wrote:

> Before they realise that they need a key you can microwave the token.
> You can then surrender it when required and still meet your legal
> obligations... 'It must have been static damage officer...you need to
> be more careful with my equipment'

Which in the UK at least could land you in prison for up to 10 years.

> Yes they could get code signed in theory, but it makes it that much
> harder - im sure Microsoft wouldn't be very keen on signing code for
> government organisations to spy on people - imagine the impact on
> their sales if it became public knowledge.

Virtually nil? Let's face it, anybody who really understands TPM won't
be using Vista anyway, and those who don't will just fall for marketing:

"Microsoft are commited to helping the Government fight the War on
Terror and to this end have installed TPM software to protect our users
against terrorists and e-hackers"

I wouldn't be surprised if the US Government at least *mandated*
TPM-level access.

> Anyway, you can spot any changes in your boot config checksums and be
> immediately alerted to a change.

You can, can you?

Dave
--