[Author Prev][Author Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Author Index][Thread Index]
Re: Some legal trouble with TOR in France
- To: or-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: Some legal trouble with TOR in France
- From: "Eric H. Jung" <eric.jung@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 08:28:21 -0700 (PDT)
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- Delivery-date: Sun, 14 May 2006 11:28:24 -0400
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=yahoo.com; h=Message-ID:Received:Date:From:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=5TpGaubbVW7usIsJO1OpWCSBEA6SjHSzGRxk6TFV4+j8WsczPbRygliwc2pwvnVbL5l3nTLRgclbqBVtWHIVxRWAJsnAaCchVvVlRrt18/qOrJ2nqSKXn8z1i0mF4wGkCfTc0azq3RHLmuWSTpty8x96f7NXd8Vn/4fBljXLPDU= ;
- In-reply-to: <20060514135055.GB14419@stanley.ox.compsoc.net>
- Reply-to: or-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Sender: owner-or-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Before they realise that they need a key you can microwave the
> > You can then surrender it when required and still meet your legal
> > obligations... 'It must have been static damage officer...you need
> > be more careful with my equipment'
> Which in the UK at least could land you in prison for up to 10 years.
Evidence tampering is a severe crime in the United States, too.
> I wouldn't be surprised if the US Government at least *mandated*
> TPM-level access.
Don't any of you remember the Xerox scandal?
There's also code in high-end color Xerox copiers which prevents and/or
mangles copying of US currency. This was reported a few years ago IIRC.
Do you think Xerox decided to put these measures into their machinery
themselves? Or do you think they were asked/coaxed into doing it by The
> Tony's point was that you could arrange not to have the
> tokens anymore. You better hope they believe you when you say you
> don't have it, though.
>Not having the authentication tokens counts as refusing to surrender
Per US law, if a judge subpoenas you to hand them over and you refuse
and/or remain silent, it means indefinite jail time (until you hand
over the tokens) and/or fines.