Re: Some legal trouble with TOR in France

On Sun, 14 May 2006 18:21:04 -0400
Adam Shostack <adam@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Nope.  I think they'd be making different statements than they're
> making, and I think that they'd have avoided the subject in private.

Or they'd do everything in their power to make you believe as much
anyway. What better way to garner someone's trust than by emphatically
denying something and habitually chatting up some premise contrary the
the breaching of that trust?

The point is, you can't really know for sure one way or the other.
Someone claiming they'll allow back doors only upon their death is
actually a little bit too bombastic for my tastes. A sane person would
probably relent long before they expired, and hope for the best. And an
ultimately honest person would be more inclined to admit that, than
deny it.

Just my $.02 worth. Something to consider.

> Adam
>
> On Sun, May 14, 2006 at 03:10:07PM -0700, Ringo Kamens wrote:
> | If somebody was forced to implement backdoors for the government,
> do you think | they would be allowed to tell you?
> |
> | On 5/14/06, Adam Shostack <adam@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> |
> |     Niels Ferguson says "over my dead body:"
> |     http://blogs.msdn.com/si_team/archive/2006/03/02/542590.aspx
> He's |     also said as much to me in person, as has Peter Biddle.
> |
> |     Adam
> |

> |     On Sun, May 14, 2006 at 10:43:22AM -0700, Ringo Kamens wrote:
> |     | I'm not saying the AES is weak. I'm saying that Microsoft
<snip>

--
Hand Crafted on Mon. May 15, 2006 at 01:49

Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
                                 -- Groucho Marx