Re: Some legal trouble with TOR in France

OK, that covers the defendant, but what if the person in question is
not a defendant?

Simple .. they grant the person immunity from prosecution for the crime in question, then compel their testimony. There goes the "self-incrimination" argument, since the person can no longer be prosecuted for their participation in the crime. Failure to *then* testify, results in a contempt of court charge and a stay in the pokey (although not for long, since the judge will eventually release the person if they realize that punishment will not compel compliance).

Still, a stay in the pokey is a hard sell for most.

I disagree though that allowing police worldwide to come up with a "blacklist" .. first it's under the guise of "protecting children" .. so first the porn goes there. What next? talk about drugs, sex, ?

We're supposed to be making it harder to censor, not easier.

/mike.

PS: for those that notice the dichotomy between this and my previous email about blocking academic journal access, this has to do not with ideals, but practicality in getting institutional ssupport. I can handle the police just fine, internal muckety-mucks are harder.