Re: ISP TOS restrictions on servers

On Mon, May 28, 2007 at 03:58:19PM -0700, nabioullinr@xxxxxxxxx wrote 1.4K bytes in 19 lines about:
: I have Verizon DSL 3Mbps/768Kbps that I want to run a Tor middle-node server on. However Verizon's TOS prohibit any kind of servers. Do ISPs really care about whether people run servers on residential accounts and do they scan ports? If so, how often? Will they be able to decrypt the data from a middle node? Is it worth also running a public web\ftp server (on a different port than 80\21)? If they find out, will it be a warning letter or termination?

Officially, yes they care.  In reality, they only care when there is a
problem.  If you run a server and never do anything to cause attention
to your circuit, chances are they won't care.

A list of ISPs with which Tor node operators have had experience with
can be found at
http://wiki.noreply.org/noreply/TheOnionRouter/GoodBadISPs

--
Andrew