Re: Tor On Private Network

     On Wed, 7 May 2008 20:48:57 -0400 "Ringo Kamens" <2600denver@xxxxxxxxx>
top-posted:
>I tried setting localhost as the DNS and it might have worked. Tor no
>longer exists because the DNS resolving configuration is broken, but
>watch what happens. Just for reference, my private network consists of
>three servers who are each set up to be Auth Dir and exit servers and
>inherently trust eachother. They are on 169.254.46.12*, this computer
>is .125. At some point, Tor realizes that my DNS entry is fake but
>thinks that the DNS server is hijacking requests.
>

>Laptop-9:~ adb$ tor
>
>  [long debugging output deleted  --SJB]
>
>Sorry for the incredibly long, detailed log but I wanted there to be
>sure there was enough information.

     I keep wondering why you don't post the contents of /etc/resolv.conf.

>My questions are:
>
>1. Does it matter that Tor thinks its requests are being hijacked?
>(Since I know I can trust the servers)

     Have you tried setting "ServerDNSDetectHijacking 0"?

>2. How come it says it can't get any network status documents?

     I'm not clear enough on your test setup to answer that, but it may
be something to do with the fact that your "authoritative" directory servers
are not the ones hard-coded into tor.

>3. What next?

     Have you looked at making an alternate version of your system's
/etc/resolv.conf file and telling tor about it with ServerDNSresolvConfFile?
Note that ServerDNSSearchDomains may also be helpful, depending upon your
setup.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG