Re: Tor server for port 443

Scott Bennett wrote:

Can I get some feedback regarding the deployment of an exit node
restricted to port 443?
My rationale is fairly simple, I believe in free speech and want to help
make it available to everyone, especially those whose governments
criminalize certain kinds of speech.  I am also aware of some of the
weakness' of Tor such as the lack of end to end encryption when
using nonsecure protocols.  My desire is to provide a communications
mechanism that enforces end to end encryption.
(snip)

In addition to port 443, you might consider ports like 995 - used for
secure POP3 - and 587, used for secure SMTP on Gmail.

     Any idea why gmail uses 587 instead of the standard smtps port, which
is 465?  I wouldn't unblock an smtps port and for the same reasons I leave
the unencrypted smtp port (25) blocked.

The standardised port for SMTP submission is 587. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Mail_Transfer_Protocol specifically "Although some servers support port 465 for legacy secure SMTP in violation of the specifications"

However. gmail do actually support both 587 with TLS *and* 465 with SSL on connect, on smtp.gmail.com.

Mike