Re: Default Exit Policy

On 2008-05-22 Nathaniel Dube wrote:
> I noticed one of the defaults is [reject *:587] which I'm wondering
> why that would be in the defaults. That ports is used for sending
> secure email.  Port 25 I can understand but 587?!

No, port 587/tcp is not used for "secure e-mail" (whatever that's
supposed to be), but for e-mail submission. It's an attempt to separate
mail relaying between SMTP servers from initial submission from the
user's mail client to an SMTP server. Just as with SMTP, security is
optional. See RFC 4409 for details on the protocol.

HTH

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"The Mac OS X kernel should never panic because, when it does, it
seriously inconveniences the user."