Re: Using tor as proxy for the command line

     On Thu, 06 May 2010 11:05:17 +0200 Jacob Appelbaum <jacob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
>Scott Bennett wrote:
>>      On Wed, 5 May 2010 20:22:55 +0200 Borja Luaces <borja.luaces@gmail=
>=2Ecom>
>> wrote:
>>> I would like to know if it is possible to use tor as proxy for the com=
>mand
>>> line under linux (Ubuntu).
>>>
>>> If it is possible, how can I do it?
>>>
>>> PS: I would like to proxymise all the comunications from the command l=
>ine
>>> (wget, nmap,...)
>>>
>>      Note that wget(1) abides by the ftp_proxy and http_proxy environme=
>nt
>> variables described in fetch(3).  I suspect that torify(1) used with nm=
>ap
>> will not be particularly useful to you nor would you endear yourself to=
>
>> exit operators by doing that.
>>=20
>
>I wrote a little program to ease my use of wget with Tor/Polipo/Privoxy:
>
>% cat tor-wget
>#!/bin/bash -x
>export http_proxy=3D127.0.0.1:8118
>export https_proxy=3D127.0.0.1:8118
>wget -U " " $@
>EOF

     I would recommend using the full form in each of those above.  There
are apparently a few cases where the abbreviated form you show here will
not work.  Also, you might define ftp_proxy; otherwise FTP requests will
go directly, instead of being blocked by privoxy.  Or if you have something
like 3proxy installed, you could set ftp_proxy to use that, but I don't see
a very easy way to stop DNS query leakage if you do that.

>I also started working on a patch to nmap with Fyodor to work with SOCKS
>proxies; it's in my (ioerror) svn branch on the nmap subversion server.
>It sorta works but it's not great for anonymity because of the many
>kinds of packets that nmap wants to send.

     I think using nmap in the context of tor is really barking up the
wrong tree.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG