Re: Tor Exit Node Sponsorship - looking for partners

Back to the Kickstarter idea, while I fully understand and agree with most of your points, my thought was one of publicly creating awareness of need. Whatever the appropriate platform, I really think it needs to move in that direction.

Let's hypothesize for a moment that a suitable basic payment platform is found. What if Tor, the application itself (not making a distinction between Tor and Vidalia here), were to make people more aware of the need for exit node donations? I'm not necessarily suggesting nagware pop-ups, but I am talking about something like, perhaps, a splash screen with a reminder -- and a button -- upon launch. I am also talking about gentle nudges in the initial setup process. "Tor development is only possible with your support!" etc etc.

And the Tor Browser Bundle? How about making its default page an explanation of the need for more exit notes, statistics, and some kind of visualization of what the impact would be for a given amount donated?

And make it beautiful and simple, like this: http://www.charitywater.org/donate/

.w