Re: perfect-privacy.com, Family specifications, etc.

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 12:45:22AM -0500, Scott Bennett wrote:
>      The tor man page gives a not very edifying description of the NodeFamily
> statement.  The man page says that the NodeFamily statement may be used more
> than once in a given torrc file.  Does each use define a different Family?

Yes.

> Or do all nodes listed in NodeFamily statements get lumped into a single
> Family?

No.

>  What effect does the NodeFamily statement have upon the use of nodes
> whose descriptors already contain some Family information?

Independent. Meaning your Tor client believes family information in the
descriptor, and independently looks at whether you've set the NodeFamily
to indicate not to use two relays in the same circuit.

>  I intend to add
> one or more NodeFamily lines to my torrc very shortly, but need to know
> whether a) I have to include all of the nodes in a single, very long run-on
> NodeFamily statement, and b) listing all of perfect-privacy.com's nodes now
> would mean that encountering similar situations with nodes belong to someone
> else would require grouping them with perfect-privacy.com's nodes.  Thanks
> in advance for any answers to these questions!

It would be great to see somebody clean up the man page entry.

Maybe that is you? :)

Thanks,
--Roger