Re: Family specifications (was: Re: perfect-privacy.com, Family specifications, etc)

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 1:31 PM, Moritz Bartl <tor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 20.05.2010 13:28, Oguz wrote:
>> I too do not understand this. Already an evil entry node can list all
>> nodes that it does _not_ control in its family option to try to force
>> circuit through the nodes it controls, though it would obviously be a
>> dead give away listing many unrelated nodes as within the family. Is
>> there a check when a node declares itself to be in a family the
>> descriptor of the other family members are checked to confirm?
>
> From what I understand, yes, at the moment both "partners" have to list
> each other. That's what the fuss is all about, because this becomes hard
> to manage when you run a lot of nodes.

A two-line shell script run automatically with ssh?
1) sed -i 's/^MyFamily .*/MyFamily [new servers]/' /etc/tor/torrc
2) killall -HUP tor

Difficult? Come on, this can all be automated in 10 minutes if they
keep a list of the servers they have access to.

If you're already operating multiple servers, you will need to have
methods like this anyway, when other things change.