Re: [tor-talk] anonymous surveys via Tor?

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 2:56 PM, katmagic <the.magical.kat@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Tor2Web sends the X-Forwarded-For header which will contain the IP of
> the client that requested your site. Actual Tor users won't (shouldn't)
> send this header at all.

That's very helpful to know, thanks... so it sounds like something
where participants were told to download torbrowser bundle and then
access a .onion site directly via torbrowser might be the best bet
here (the alternative, if they might be suspicious of a .onion site,
would be to have them change it to tor2web.org).

This came up in a recent brainstorm on using Tor for research purposes
(other than breaking it or fixing it... but using it as infrastructure
for research that needs anonymity to get at certain questions).

It strikes me that this kind of use (a guaranteed anonymous survey),
that involves having people with an interest in the research questions
download and use the torbrowser bundle could have a beneficial side
effect of teaching these participants how to use Tor for web activity.
Hmmm...

best, Joe

--
Joseph Lorenzo Hall
ACCURATE Postdoctoral Research Associate