[tor-talk] Tor 0.2.2.26-beta and 0.2.2.27-beta are out

Tor 0.2.2.26-beta fixes a variety of potential privacy problems. It
also introduces a new "socksport auto" approach that should make it
easier to run multiple Tors on the same system, and does a lot of
cleanup to get us closer to a release candidate.

Tor 0.2.2.27-beta fixes a bridge-related stability bug in the previous
release, and also adds a few more general bugfixes.

Packages will appear on the download page in the coming days.

Changes in version 0.2.2.26-beta - 2011-05-17
  o Security/privacy fixes:
    - Replace all potentially sensitive memory comparison operations
      with versions whose runtime does not depend on the data being
      compared. This will help resist a class of attacks where an
      adversary can use variations in timing information to learn
      sensitive data. Fix for one case of bug 3122. (Safe memcmp
      implementation by Robert Ransom based partially on code by DJB.)
    - When receiving a hidden service descriptor, check that it is for
      the hidden service we wanted. Previously, Tor would store any
      hidden service descriptors that a directory gave it, whether it
      wanted them or not. This wouldn't have let an attacker impersonate
      a hidden service, but it did let directories pre-seed a client
      with descriptors that it didn't want. Bugfix on 0.0.6.
    - On SIGHUP, do not clear out all TrackHostExits mappings, client
      DNS cache entries, and virtual address mappings: that's what
      NEWNYM is for. Fixes bug 1345; bugfix on 0.1.0.1-rc.

  o Major features:
    - The options SocksPort, ControlPort, and so on now all accept a
      value "auto" that opens a socket on an OS-selected port. A
      new ControlPortWriteToFile option tells Tor to write its
      actual control port or ports to a chosen file. If the option
      ControlPortFileGroupReadable is set, the file is created as
      group-readable. Now users can run two Tor clients on the same
      system without needing to manually mess with parameters. Resolves
      part of ticket 3076.
    - Set SO_REUSEADDR on all sockets, not just listeners. This should
      help busy exit nodes avoid running out of useable ports just
      because all the ports have been used in the near past. Resolves
      issue 2850.

  o Minor features:
    - New "GETINFO net/listeners/(type)" controller command to return
      a list of addresses and ports that are bound for listeners for a
      given connection type. This is useful when the user has configured
      "SocksPort auto" and the controller needs to know which port got
      chosen. Resolves another part of ticket 3076.
    - Add a new ControlSocketsGroupWritable configuration option: when
      it is turned on, ControlSockets are group-writeable by the default
      group of the current user. Patch by Jérémy Bobbio; implements
      ticket 2972.
    - Tor now refuses to create a ControlSocket in a directory that is
      world-readable (or group-readable if ControlSocketsGroupWritable
      is 0). This is necessary because some operating systems do not
      enforce permissions on an AF_UNIX sockets. Permissions on the
      directory holding the socket, however, seems to work everywhere.
    - Rate-limit a warning about failures to download v2 networkstatus
      documents. Resolves part of bug 1352.
    - Backport code from 0.2.3.x that allows directory authorities to
      clean their microdescriptor caches. Needed to resolve bug 2230.
    - When an HTTPS proxy reports "403 Forbidden", we now explain
      what it means rather than calling it an unexpected status code.
      Closes bug 2503. Patch from Michael Yakubovich.
    - Update to the May 1 2011 Maxmind GeoLite Country database.

  o Minor bugfixes:
    - Authorities now clean their microdesc cache periodically and when
      reading from disk initially, not only when adding new descriptors.
      This prevents a bug where we could lose microdescriptors. Bugfix
      on 0.2.2.6-alpha. 2230
    - Do not crash when our configuration file becomes unreadable, for
      example due to a permissions change, between when we start up
      and when a controller calls SAVECONF. Fixes bug 3135; bugfix
      on 0.0.9pre6.
    - Avoid a bug that would keep us from replacing a microdescriptor
      cache on Windows. (We would try to replace the file while still
      holding it open. That's fine on Unix, but Windows doesn't let us
      do that.) Bugfix on 0.2.2.6-alpha; bug found by wanoskarnet.
    - Add missing explanations for the authority-related torrc options
      RephistTrackTime, BridgePassword, and V3AuthUseLegacyKey in the
      man page. Resolves issue 2379.
    - As an authority, do not upload our own vote or signature set to
      ourself. It would tell us nothing new, and as of 0.2.2.24-alpha,
      it would get flagged as a duplicate. Resolves bug 3026.
    - Accept hidden service descriptors if we think we might be a hidden
      service directory, regardless of what our consensus says. This
      helps robustness, since clients and hidden services can sometimes
      have a more up-to-date view of the network consensus than we do,
      and if they think that the directory authorities list us a HSDir,
      we might actually be one. Related to bug 2732; bugfix on
      0.2.0.10-alpha.
    - When a controller changes TrackHostExits, remove mappings for
      hosts that should no longer have their exits tracked. Bugfix on
      0.1.0.1-rc.
    - When a controller changes VirtualAddrNetwork, remove any mappings
      for hosts that were automapped to the old network. Bugfix on
      0.1.1.19-rc.
    - When a controller changes one of the AutomapHosts* options, remove
      any mappings for hosts that should no longer be automapped. Bugfix
      on 0.2.0.1-alpha.
    - Do not reset the bridge descriptor download status every time we
      re-parse our configuration or get a configuration change. Fixes
      bug 3019; bugfix on 0.2.0.3-alpha.

  o Minor bugfixes (code cleanup):
    - When loading the microdesc journal, remember its current size.
      In 0.2.2, this helps prevent the microdesc journal from growing
      without limit on authorities (who are the only ones to use it in
      0.2.2). Fixes a part of bug 2230; bugfix on 0.2.2.6-alpha.
      Fix posted by "cypherpunks."
    - The microdesc journal is supposed to get rebuilt only if it is
      at least _half_ the length of the store, not _twice_ the length
      of the store. Bugfix on 0.2.2.6-alpha; fixes part of bug 2230.
    - Fix a potential null-pointer dereference while computing a
      consensus. Bugfix on tor-0.2.0.3-alpha, found with the help of
      clang's analyzer.
    - Avoid a possible null-pointer dereference when rebuilding the mdesc
      cache without actually having any descriptors to cache. Bugfix on
      0.2.2.6-alpha. Issue discovered using clang's static analyzer.
    - If we fail to compute the identity digest of a v3 legacy keypair,
      warn, and don't use a buffer-full of junk instead. Bugfix on
      0.2.1.1-alpha; fixes bug 3106.
    - Resolve an untriggerable issue in smartlist_string_num_isin(),
      where if the function had ever in the future been used to check
      for the presence of a too-large number, it would have given an
      incorrect result. (Fortunately, we only used it for 16-bit
      values.) Fixes bug 3175; bugfix on 0.1.0.1-rc.
    - Require that introduction point keys and onion handshake keys
      have a public exponent of 65537. Starts to fix bug 3207; bugfix
      on 0.2.0.10-alpha.

  o Removed features:
    - Caches no longer download and serve v2 networkstatus documents
      unless FetchV2Networkstatus flag is set: these documents haven't
      haven't been used by clients or relays since 0.2.0.x. Resolves
      bug 3022.

Changes in version 0.2.2.27-beta - 2011-05-18
  o Major bugfixes:
    - Fix a crash bug when changing bridges in a running Tor process.
      Fixes bug 3213; bugfix on 0.2.2.26-beta.
    - When the controller configures a new bridge, don't wait 10 to 60
      seconds before trying to fetch its descriptor. Bugfix on
      0.2.0.3-alpha; fixes bug 3198 (suggested by 2355).

  o Minor bugfixes:
    - Require that onion keys have exponent 65537 in microdescriptors too.
      Fixes more of bug 3207; bugfix on 0.2.2.26-beta.
    - Tor used to limit HttpProxyAuthenticator values to 48 characters.
      Changed the limit to 512 characters by removing base64 newlines.
      Fixes bug 2752. Fix by Michael Yakubovich.
    - When a client starts or stops using bridges, never use a circuit
      that was built before the configuration change. This behavior could
      put at risk a user who uses bridges to ensure that her traffic
      only goes to the chosen addresses. Bugfix on 0.2.0.3-alpha; fixes
      bug 3200.