Re: [tor-talk] Securing a Relay - chroot

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 06:44:36AM -0700, CACook@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Thursday 26 May, 2011 06:44:19 CACook@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > On Thursday 26 May, 2011 05:37:06 Eugen Leitl wrote:
> > > Why don't you like Linux vserver? My relay did some 350 GByte/day,
> > > in a vserver guest on a low-end Atom box.
> >
> > It must necessarily share the network setup with the host, and so the LAN class C since I can't set up the router downstream with multiple IPs.  Not secure.  Also it would have the same firewall settings, and that is not acceptable either.
>
> So nobody's actually thought about security for a relay
> and the need for a relay to be in the same class C as
> the LAN in order to access the router?  What can be done?

Your setup is unusual. One is typically using nonpublic
addresses for guests and physical machines, and maps
subnets and/or ports to inside. Separating traffic into
VLANs. In general having a lot more control of the hardware
layer.

I don't know why you say Class C, everything is CIDR now.