Re: [tor-talk] Police was here - whats next?

On 5/30/2011 9:15 PM, andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 09:46:29PM +0200, linuxhippy@xxxxxxxxx wrote 0.7K bytes in 19 lines about:
: I ran a tor exit node at that time, and I am confident somebody
: mis-used our tor exit node,
: as our WLAN is WPA2 encrypted.

This is likely.  You should talk to a lawyer first.  Julius of the CCC
is a fine first place to start for your country.  Likely you'll want a
signed statement from Tor saying we confirm this IP was hosting a tor
exit relay at the time in question.

There is sometimes a long time from when the police get the log
file from a site and get around to raiding houses looking for evidence.
Depending on your jurisdiction, the search warrant or active police case
will have the details of why your computers were taken.

Again, get a lawyer first.
I'll wholeheartedly agree w/ Andrew. I'm not sure what the CCC is in Austria, but I would strongly suggest being VERY careful of what you say to the police w/o an attorney present. I can't give legal advice, but I probably would NOT agree to questioning or interrogation by police without an attorney.

If the CCC Andrew mentioned is some group that provides free legal representation for certain cases, that's great. In the US, some advocacy groups - particularly ones dealing w/ free speech / civil rights - might be interested in taking a case like this pro bono (for free) - or not. That's assuming the person had been charged w/ a crime (or being investigated), or believed their civil rights had been violated.

Since YOU haven't been charged w/ anything - * yet * - it may be harder to find free legal help. I would NOT let that stop me from speaking to an attorney before talking to the police, even if I had to pay a consultation fee. I once got into a potential legal scrape, where I wasn't charged w/ anything, but it COULD have turned very nasty & costly, even though I would have eventually been cleared of wrong doing. Hiring a (costly) attorney was a bitter pill to swallow, but fighting a case in court would have been much worse.