Re: [tor-talk] Police was here - whats next?

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 11:59:21PM -0400, grarpamp@xxxxxxxxx wrote 1.2K bytes in 32 lines about:
: you should seriously consider logging either:
: a) your own traffic (whether via internet or Tor)
: b) exit traffic
: c) both
: To cover your ass. At least this way you'll have some form of
: log you can present if needed to give more weight to an
: explanation.

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.  However, after having
been involved in a number of these cases, the more data you give to the
police and courts, the more guilty you are in their eyes.

All you, the exit relay operator, have to prove is that you were a valid
exit relay at the time in question, and that your exit could have been
used for the suspected crime.  Providing anything more gets messy, and
will be used against you.  In cases where I've been an expert witness or
submitted a signed statement, the defense wanted nothing more than a
statement along the lines of, 'This IP address, xxxxx, appears in the
official tor directory at the time of xxx on date xxx with an exit
policy of xxx.'

There are plenty of places in this world where having something
encrypted is the equivalent of putting the data in a locked safe.  You
can be compelled to decrypt the data.  Prosecutors love data.

So far, I believe every tor exit relay operator that has endured a
raid and courts has been found innocent and their computers returned.

I started a list of providers of legal aid,
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/start-tor-legal-support-directory,
mostly for tor exit relay operators.

--
Andrew