[tor-talk] building tor-0.2.3.15-alpha on Ubuntu

People,

Because I guess there's a better way to build Tor from source on my
Ubuntu 12.04 box than I do, I ask for some help. I want to build Tor
from source with my build-from-source openssl 1.0.1c. My OpenSSL install
is in /usr/local/ssl/ , there are the libcrypto.a and libssl.a files.

I try to start building Tor with
./configure --enable-static-openssl --with-openssl-dir=/usr/local/ssl/
but whatever I do at the end, ending with slash or without, it results
in the error message
configure: error: "You must specify an explicit --with-openssl-dir=x
option when using --enable-static-openssl"

The only way I found to build Tor with my own install of openssl, is when
I comment out lines 7178 till 7182 in the configure script and add the line
TOR_OPENSSL_LIBS="/usr/local/ssl/libssl.a /usr/local/ssl/libcrypto.a"

After this, I check with `ldd ./src/or/tor` if there's libssl/libcrypto
linked, and there's not, so correct.

I build Tor this way from tor-0.2.3.12 - tor-0.2.3.15. There has to be a
better way to building Tor from source, without editing the configure
script, is there?

Thanks!

--
BigTor