Re: [tor-talk] Tor's reputation problem with pedo, some easy steps the community could take

tor-talk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 17:37:58 -0400
> From: Gregory Disney <gregory.disney@xxxxxxxxx>
> To: tor-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [tor-talk] Tor's reputation problem with pedo, some easy
> 	steps the community could take
>
> Related to the anarchism comment above.
>

> On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 5:37 PM, Gregory Disney <gregory.disney@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:
>
>> > I think Tor Project does follow Mihkal Bakunin principles on Freedom...
>> > From Revolutionary Catechism:
>> > III. Freedom is the absolute right of every adult man and woman to seek no
>> > other sanction for their acts than their own conscience and their own
>> > reason, being responsible first to themselves and then to the society which
>> > they have *voluntarily *accepted.
>> >
>> > IV. It is not true that the freedom of one man is limited by that of other
>> > men. Man is really free to the extent that his freedom, fully acknowledged
>> > and mirrored by the free consent of his fellowmen, finds confirmation and
>> > expansion in their liberty. Man is truly free only among equally free men;
>> > the slavery of even one human being violates humanity and negates the
>> > freedom of all.
>> >
>> > V. The *freedom *of each is therefore realizable only in the equality of
>> > all. The realization of freedom through equality, in principle and in fact,
>> > is *justice.*
>> >
>> > VI. If there is one fundamental principle of human morality, *it is
>> > freedom*. To respect the freedom of your fellowman *is duty; *to love,
>> > help, and serve him is *virtue.*

Hello- I'm Ethan long time tor user first time calling in :D.

I think a better metaphor than a gun here is a bullet proof vest- tor
can provide protection. And also I like Jacob's analogy of surveillance
being like a disease. And he did an excellent job covering this and then
after arguing with cisco guy who was making the same analogy calling
Jake an arms dealer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Z4pHGRYhFPE#t=2873s

I see tor as in a sense having the capability of being used for
anarchist dual power and restoring that sense of agency rather than the
gaze of authorities re-inforcing the norm.

Regarding onions and CP: Honestly my intuitive thinking fast response
when I was just browsing random onions with people discussing it and
saying they're raping children I say take it down, WTF! But reflecting I
think when dealing with free speech it's always dangerous to start
making it relative to situation/subject.

Rather we must tackle the social causes that lead to the raping of
children: sociologically child abuse happens when there's spikes in
poverty. I think a lot of our societal ills come out of depravity (I
mean this a purely secular sense; no gods no masters) and through social
justice we can heal not social control.

But if going down that route I think Chris Patti's suggestion may be
better directed towards the people who run the onions individually
rather than the tor project