Re: [tor-talk] The Google Browser, Sand boxing and Tor.

On Thu, 23 May 2013 10:32:07 -0700
Seth David Schoen <schoen@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Andrew F writes:
>
> > I does appear that chrome is a free software but not open source. They
> > call it proprietary but free software. Is the licensing the issue?
> > Apparently they locked down the code with there terms of service.
>
> Free software and open source software are intended to refer to the
> _same software_.

Correct, but to be more precise:

Free Software: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html
"A program is free software if the program's users have the four essential
freedoms";

Open Source: http://opensource.org/osd (must satisfy 10 requirements).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-source_software#Comparison_with_free_software
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_software_definition#Free_Software_Definition_vs_Open_Source_Definition

And yes, Chrome is neither, but Chromium is both.

--
With respect,
Roman