Re: [tor-talk] Orbot and Orweb (take two)

On 05/27/2013 05:08 PM, Nathan Suchy wrote:
You could still intergrate the two apps and make an advanced settings menu. Create a background process and set orweb with an option to switch the proxy.
Yes, we have considered it. Definitely for the new user, having a simple, single app experience does make sense.

From a security perspective however, if a website can somehow compromise the Orweb browser webkit component, they would have greater access to the integrated security of the app, then if Orbot was a separate app and process. Still, these are things that Tor Browser on the desktop already deals with successfully.

Lastly why does orbot not use the Android ICS+ VPN API?
We are working on it, but it does not easily map directly into Tor's transproxy or socks proxy ports. The VPN api really expects an app to connect to a single known remote IP/port, while Tor connects to many different IPs and ports. This makes marking the more dynamic Tor traffic as "dot not send through VPN" a bit tricky.

+n