Re: [tor-talk] Orbot v14 alpha: obfsclient, Tor 0.2.5.3-alpha

Nathan Freitas <nathan@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On May 2, 2014 6:34:25 PM EDT, intrigeri <intrigeri@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >Nathan Freitas wrote (02 May 2014 19:44:35 GMT) :
> >> We are also experimenting with a switch to Polipo
> >> (https://github.com/jech/polipo.git) from Privoxy.
> >
> >Jacob was strongly advocating that we do the exact opposite change in
> >Tails, so I'm curious why.
>
> Yes, it seems that when Polipo was removed from TBB (since it was no longer needed for Firefox proxying), that around the same time (2011?) there were some serious security bugs discovered, and development on Polipo was dormant. This led to Tor switching back to recommending Privoxy as the HTTP proxy for those that need one.
>
> However, Polipo is being actively maintained again, and the known issues addressed. I wanted to explore its use with Orbot because it does seem to use less memory than Privoxy, and is a bit faster as well. It is also cleaner to integrate due to the project being available as a git repo.

Are Orbot's proxy requirements documented somewhere?

Could you please post (or provide links to) the Privoxy and Polipo
configurations, system settings and tests that were used to compare
memory usage and performance?

> If there is conclusive evidence or a community decision that Polipo must not be used, I am willing to follow that, but for now, we are experimenting in alpha-ville.

I think Orbot should use whatever works best, but I'd like to reproduce
and analyse those Privoxy issues to figure out if they are design issues
or bugs that should be addressed or were merely the result of configuration
differences.

Fabian