Re: [tor-talk] General questions about Tor proxy

On Mon, 19 May 2014 15:51:35 +0000, Joe Btfsplk wrote:
> Mailing lists aren't as user friendly to search old topics.  Yes,
> there's an archive.
> It's not a friendly / easy to search as forums with (good) software.

There's also google.

> Mailing lists (& email) are harder to follow on longer topics - where
> one wants to actually follow the entire thread.

You can more easily pick out the interesting subthreads.

> On forums or similar layout, it's all laid out on one page (often can
> specify # of comments to a page).
> In email, even in "conversation view," have to move from one response to
> next to next.

Unless you happen to use a client that does it otherwise. (No, I don't
know any. Never cared enough.) Also, half of the point of having the
entire conversation on one page in the first place is to avoid server
roundtrips for each entry. And you need to scroll anyway.

> Sometimes, people top post or bottom post in mailing lists (no amt of
> reminders will ever change this).
> In forums, the posting format is fixed.

If you can't top-post (that is, quote), it's useless anyway.

Also forums (those I've seen) totally fail me in 'what have I read already'.
And they give me yet another place where I have to look in the first place.

(Are there any forum systems that make good use of client-side javascript?
Let alone ones that combine a mailing list and a forum?)

Andreas

--
"Totally trivial. Famous last words."
From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@*.org>