Re: [tor-talk] Meeting Snowden in Princeton

On 5/2/15, Mirimir <mirimir@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> ... I can't resist sharing this: "And itâs a matter
> of record that Ed [Snowden] trusted his life to Tor, because he saw from
> the other side that it worked."
>
> I wonder what the haters say to that. Actually, I know: "He's a double
> agent, and it's all a con." Amirite?

all technology is entrapment ;)

another quote i appreciated,
"Usability is critical. Lots of good crypto never got widely adopted
as it was too hard to use; think of PGP. On the other hand, Tails is
horrifically vulnerable to traditional endpoint attacks, but you can
give it as a package to journalists to use so they wonât make so many
mistakes. ... Engineers who design stuff for whistleblowers and
journalists must be really thoughtful and careful if they want to
ensure their users wonât die when they screw up. The goal should be
that no single error should be fatal, and so long as their failures
arenât compounded the users will stay alive."

i posted on tor-dev about defense in depth for Tor Browser using a Tor
router device:
  https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2015-May/008766.html

my only contention is that the allowance for targeted attacks yields
too much to the adversary. the targeted SIGINT attacks of today will
be the opportunistic blackhat attacks of tomorrow. and so on,

best regards,

P.S. there's another point to be made about funding secure software
and product development.