Re: [tor-talk] ProtonMail

On 2016-05-12(04:53:31+0300), Jerry Rocteur wrote:

> > On 12 May 2016, at 15:54, ng0 <ng0@xxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On 2016-05-12(03:47:55+0300), Jerry Rocteur wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I tried to post this before but it never got to the list I think.
> >>
> >> I wanted to subscribe to ProtonMail, which I discovered from reading posts here on this list.
> >>
> >> I wanted to get your opinion, is ProtonMail a good solution for encrypted mails or should I look at alternatives.
> >>
> >> Iâve searched and read quite a few articles and I understand that nothing is really secure .. I also have my own Debian server on the web so Iâm open to suggestions if any of you has an opinion.
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance,
> >>
> >> Jerry
> >
> > Keep in mind that ProtonMail is still in beta phase.
> > They fixed some problems, but they did not address all of my bug reports
> > so far, which might make it unpleasant to use for people who deal with
> > mailinglists:
> > expect people to get angry at you because their
> > webinterface reply only knows 1 layer of comment block and you can't
> > even break this block.
> >
> > This alone + forced html format and no way to hook into with an external
> > application are big minus for people who care about email as just text,
> > in my opinion.
> >
> > --
> > ââ ng0

> You did not recommend a better alternative ?

There are other problems, but it's been too long since I reported them.
Some have been fixed, some don't. Occasionally I check protonmail to see
if something has changed, but I don't have time for that at the moment.

I can't recommend alternatives as I consider Email something which is
long overdue for replacement.

I'd say, register and see what the bugs are like.
For me it is too much of an annoyance to use.

--
ââ ng0