Re: "Our directory information is no longer up-to-date enough to build circuits." problem logged

     On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 18:28:45 +0100 "vikingserver@xxxxxxxxx"
<vikingserver@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

     Another top-poster.  Sigh.  I'm leaving in the content you deemed
irrelevant as context (i.e., Roger's message) for your message because I'm
interested in getting the problem resolved.  It has already crippled my tor on
at least five occasions in the very short time that 0.2.0.9-alpha has been out.

>The error message I get is not the same as the one in the bug report.
>And the log doensn't look like in the bug report.

     It doesn't look like mine, either.

>Perhaps it's the same problem in the code causing different error
>messages, perhaps not.
>
>The message I get is the following:
>
>Nov 07 18:19:59.296 [notice] I learned some more directory information,
>but not enough to build a circuit.
>Nov 07 18:19:59.296 [info]
>update_consensus_router_descriptor_downloads(): 0 routers downloadable.
>0 delayed; 2184 present; 0 would_reject; 0 wouldnt_use, 0 in progress.
>Nov 07 18:19:59.296 [info] launch_router_descriptor_downloads():
>Launching 0 request for 0 router, 4 at a time

     Right, and the "learned more info" message looks like:

Nov 04 21:50:42.351 [notice] I learned some more directory information, but not enough to build a circuit.

The message above doesn't say anything about having only so many out of so many
more descriptors.

>It's just a small part of my log. If you want more I can give you the rest.
>

>/Vikingserver
>
>Roger Dingledine skrev:
>> On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 01:37:31PM +0100, vikingserver@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>> I also have reproduced this error with 0209alpha on win32 and have
>>> logged everything at info level.
>>
>> I think Nick has a handle on fixing the bug:
>> http://bugs.noreply.org/flyspray/index.php?do=details&id=543
>>
>> Hopefully it will be resolved in 0.2.0.10-alpha -- whenever that
>> comes out. ;)

     Maybe he could take another look.  I still have a info-level log file
saved in case he or you would like some or all of it.  Another difference
is that the "no longer up-to-date" message only occurs at most once per
execution of tor, the startup messages notwithstanding.  The example in the
bug report mentioned above shows that message repeating only a few minutes
after the first problem occurrence.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG