Re: 20090101

Am Samstag, 10. November 2007 schrieb Christoph:
> >    I assume that they made sure to put one, or more, "make
> > available to the state" cause in there?
>
> Of course !
>
> >    If not, I'm just wondering how they'd react if I do log (as
> > required), and if they want the logs, I send them a
> > tor.20080101-20100101.logs.tar.bz.gpg.good_luck.
>
> German:
> §113 a (9) Die Speicherung der Daten nach den Absätzen 1 bis 7 hat
> so zu erfolgen, dass Auskunftsersuchen der berechtigten Stellen
> unverzüglich beantwortet werden können.
>
> English:
> You have to store the logs in a way, that you can hand them over
> immediately.

That's not entirely correct. It means in fact, that you have to answer
inquiries by the authorities immediately. So, if an authorized cop
asks you to tell him when a particular person accessed the internet,
you must be able to give that information immdiately.
The law has already caused a lot of unrest with many ISPs, because to
fulfill the requirements of the law, they have to install specific
softwares and additional hardware to make this possible, which both
are very expensive.
The problem is that anonymisation software like tor can't be run any
more if this law comes into effect, because you usually can only
capture the IP address and do not know who accesses your node. The
law however requires the providers to be able to connect a particular
name with the IP address and record the related activities in
connection with the name. It's not just additional logging of data.
It is much more that would be required.

Martin

--
Dr. Martin Senftleben, Ph.D. (S.V.U.)