Re: court trial against me - the outcome

Mark,
	In absentia was always there, it just wasn't SOP like it is now. BTW,
are you familiar with jury nullification? It was a victim of the last
round of substance prohibition in the 20s and 30s. Essentially, jurors
have the (no longer honored) right to find a defendant 'not guilty' if
they feel that the law he is accused of breaking is BS. See
http://fija.org/ for more details.

~Andrew

mark485anderson@xxxxxx wrote:
> What would have happened if you had not accepted their plea agreement?
>
> Used to be here in the USA they had to bring u personally to court to
> try and convict you.
> Now they are convicting "in abstencia" for many crimes.
>
> Because the courts, judges and prosecutors are too incompetent or busy,
> they just convict you whether they give you your rights or not. The
> government does what they can get away with and increasingly this means
> they do not follow their own laws; constitutionaly restraints. Of course
> when you get IDIOTS like G.W. Bush in Office and have an IDIOT populace
> that votes for him, you deserve what you get, :-).
>
> I thought Europe was better, but I guess not. Here in the U.S., we
> frequently have people in the courts and police who are too stupid to
> hold jobs in the private sector.
>
> I think you did the right thing by ignoring their invitation. Do
> everything you can to make their jobs more difficult, resist as far as
> you are able.
>

> On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 15:22:29 +0100, "Mirko Thiesen"
> <Mirko.Thiesen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
>> Good morning,
>>
>> I've been operating a Tor node (NetWorkXXIII) for quite some years now
>> (although it was down for several months as it was facing repeated DDoS
>> attacks earlier this year).
>>
>> In June the local police informed me about preliminary proceedings
>> against
>> me by asking me (by mail) to "visit" them. The letter mentioned computer
>> fraud (actually it was "Computerbetrug in Tateinheit mit Faelschung
>> beweiserheblicher Daten gemaess Paragrafen 263a, 269, 52 StGB"), but
>> since I
>> hadn't done anything I followed the general advice in such situations:
>> You
>> have the right to remain silent. Use it. So I decided not to go to the
>> police - if you haven't done anything and you don't even have a clue what
>> they are talking about, it usually can only get worse. Apart from that,
>> the
>> day they wanted me to come I was not even in town.
>>
>> In early September I received a penalty order ("Strafbefehl") - from the
>> court. A judge found me guilty of having ordered a gift voucher (value:
>> 51
>> EUR) on amazon.de, providing address details of a living person (but not
>> myself obviously), and using a Web.de email address registered
>> specifically
>> for this purpose. I was sentenced to pay a fine of 500 EUR.
>>
>> Because I hadn't ordered the voucher, I appealed ("form- und
>> fristgerechter
>> Einspruch") to that penalty order, which led - according to German laws -
>> an actual trial. This trial was held today.
>>
>> While the penalty order listed four witnesses (the person whose address
>> details had been used, a police officer in a cow town near that person's
>> home hometown, a local police officer, and an employee of amazon.de), the
> [...]

- --
Tired of building crappy websites? Site Rubix makes professional web
design easy, fast, and fun!
Visit http://site-rubix.rapidnetmarketing.com/