Re: Problems starting relay

     On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 06:39:31 +0000 Geoff Down <downie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
>I'm not mirroring the directory server (yet) so I assume I don't need
>to worry about the directory port.
>I did enable UPnP on my router (temporarily) and tried the Test button
>in the Vidalia Relay setup page, and it reported 'Success'. However, on
>examining the Port Forwarding page, there was then no sign of a rule
>for Tor or Vidalia.
>I disabled UPnP after that.
>I'm using OSX 10.3.9.
>I went into the Firewall section of 'Sharing' and added a rule for Tor:
>"This is your firewall entry for Tor: it is currently on and all TCP
>network traffic on port(s) 9001 is being let through".
>Yet still I get
>"[Warning] Your server (xx.xx.xx.xx:9001) has not managed to confirm
>that its ORPort is reachable. Please check your firewalls, ports,
>address, /etc/hosts file, etc"
>My Port Forwarding rule (added manually) says
>"Protocol TCP
>Port Start 9001
>Port End 9001
>Port Map 9001"
>  Is there a way I can check the Port Forwarding independently of Tor?

     Take some time out here to RTFM.  (Likewise to "madjon", who posted
thoroughly bogus directions in response to your initial posting.)  After
doing that, you may find that you understand enough of what you're writing
about that you can get it set up correctly.  If you can't get it to work
after RTFM, *then* come back to the list.  At least you'll better equipped
to pose your questions and understand the responses.  Thus far it is obvious
that you don't understand your own network setup and have yet to RTF tor M.
Until you've read the basics, all you're doing here is generating noise,
not helping your situation, and possibly mucking up your setup in ways that
may be hard to backtrack from.  A person who does understand his/her local
network setup may well be able to configure a basic relay successfully just
based upon the comments in torrc, though the man page might clarify a detail
here or there.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG