Re: How to ban many IPs?

On Thursday 30 October 2008 12:38:33 phobos@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> These are called chilling effects.  Rather than directly attack
> something, you create an environment that discourages its existence.
>
> I run an exit node with the default policy.  I, too, deal with the abuse
> complaints and DMCA take down notices.  A couple of emails with copy and
> pasted responses to these things is worth it for me to provide the
> service for others.  I've even been known to get on the phone and talk
> to people.  Smart ISPs realize they aren't at risk from Tor nodes.
> Having an intelligent email, showing them
> https://www.torproject.org/eff/tor-legal-faq and
> https://www.torproject.org/eff/tor-dmca-response.html are more than most
> care to investigate.  After 5 years, my node is still online.

[clip]

A reminder:

Your internet service providers may not be at legal risk, but they can
nonetheless be held accountable for breaches of their own transit providers'
terms-of-service agreements, and if your exit-node is found to be the cause
of a given TOS violation, the ISP may end up disco'ing you for fiduciary or
business reasons, not legal ones.

And before you ask, since these restrictions are generally considered content
agnostic (for example: "all IRC is proscribed over this transit link"), an
argument can be made that such restrictions are fair since it looks
non-discriminatory.