Re: is tor an email mixmaster?

phobos@xxxxxxxxxx schreef:
> On Sun, Nov 09, 2008 at 02:03:53PM +0100, petersonmaxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote 3.5K bytes in 68 lines about:
> : is it possible to make a kind of tor button, so that all users using a kind
> : of email client are a outproxy or hidden service, or must it be hidden
> : service?
> : so a torbutton with default on smtp relay /exitnode for email?
> .
>
> There once was a torbutton for thunderbird.  I think all it did was
> redirect the connections to your mail servers over tor.  There are still
> many personally identifing details in the mail itself that need to be
> anonymized and cleaned.

Well the issue in Europe isn't really the connection with the
mailserver. Due to data retention governments will get access to the
serverlogs of providers. In the Netherlands providers will sent the info
to a central database that stores all the information linked to the
responsible person. So if John Doe connects to his server it is only
interesting in a few cases where the connection started. In most cases
the central database knows who's e-mailing whom. Therefor you need a
different solution. That is why I'm working on the tool to offer an
alternative.
> And what you seem to be asking is client as a relay by default.  This
> topic is discussed on the wiki at
> https://wiki.torproject.org/noreply/TheOnionRouter/TorFAQ#EverybodyARelay

Cheers,

--
Brenno J.S.A.A.F. de Winter, WGASA
Amsterdamseweg 71

Phone: +31 653 53 6508 (Cell)

International numbers:
USA: +1 619 758 3882
United Kingdom: +44 20 3239 4421
Australia: +61 28003501

Skype/Gizmoproject/AIM: brennodewinter
E-mail/MSN: brenno@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Jabber: brenno@xxxxxxxxxx
Twitter: brenno
GnuPG/PGP-fingerprint: B0B4 C491 0B43 2F7E 2F58 0CE0 F2E8 EF45 D14A 033D