Re: any middlemen seeing DoS currently?

On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 01:38:28PM +0100, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> I've seen continuous table state increase since about >3.5 hours.
> It went up from 1 k baseline to 5 k.
>
> Anyone else seeing this? Any alternative explanation to DoS? (ISP
> throttling?).

Judging by the timing, I'd think it might be related to a bug we only
uncovered on Friday.  Why Friday?  That was the first time that a
directory authority's certificate expired before it could be replaced.
The bug was that clients repeatedly asked directory caches for a new
certificate over and over, without noticing that they were getting
something expired and deciding to wait for a while.

That bug should be fixed in newer versions of Tor.  Also, all the
authority operators should (if we can make them) get way more careful
about checking certificate expiry times.

--
Nick