Re: Dir servers on private networks

We didn't put the info into the config.c list of auth. dir servers, because it seems like the torrc options regarding Dirserver will override the hardcoded entries. Perhaps this is a false assumption?

~Jon

On Nov 10, 2008, at 2:22 PM, Steve Southam wrote:

Did you put the info about your authoritative directory servers into
config.c? You may need to run the them first to generate the fingerprints.
Have you looked at the IP addresses your ORs are publishing to?

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-or-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-or- talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Jon McLachlan
Sent: Monday, November 10, 2008 9:36 AM
To: or-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Dir servers on private networks

Hey everyone,

  Our research team is a bit stuck on a problem of bootstrapping
generic Tor on a private network in planetlab.  The two authoritative
directory servers that we are running continuously complain that,

Nov 10 12:22:35.487 [info] router_pick_trusteddirserver(): No trusted
dirservers are reachable. Trying them all again.
Nov 10 12:22:35.487 [info] router_pick_directory_server(): No
reachable router entries for dirservers. Trying them all again.
Nov 10 12:22:35.487 [info] directory_get_from_dirserver(): No router
found for consensus network-status fetch; falling back to dirserver
list.
Nov 10 12:22:35.487 [info] router_pick_trusteddirserver(): No trusted
dirservers are reachable. Trying them all again.
Nov 10 12:22:35.487 [notice] While fetching directory info, no running
dirservers known. Will try again later. (purpose 14)

However, OR's in the network seem to think that they are publishing
their descriptors without any problem.  When we attempt to browse to
http://[host]:[port]/all into the Dir port of either of the two
authoritative dir servers, it consistently responds with zero content
- we are assuming this is why clients are OR's are not yet
communicating with each other.  We've attempted this setup on both V1
and V2 dir servers.

We have exhausted the specific guidance for running a private Tor
network found here:
http://wiki.noreply.org/noreply/TheOnionRouter/TorFAQ#OwnTorNetwork

Any comments, suggestions, ideas, or guidance would be most
appreciated.  :)

~Jon